Good carpeting can last anywhere from 10 to 15 years. And this depends on how well it’s maintained, how many people (and pets) are regularly walking on it, and various other factors. With this in mind, if you have carpet flooring in your home or business, it will eventually have to be replaced. But how do you know when it’s time to replace your carpeting? Our experts at Floor Coverings International North Chicago give a look at five telltale signs that it’s time to make the switch.
5 Signs Your Carpet Needs to be Replaced
- Excessive Stains/Spotting: If you have carpeting in your home, sooner or later you’re going to drop something on it that’s going to lead to a stain. Most of the time, you can remove these stains yourself. But if you can’t remove them yourself, a professional can almost always remove them with the right tools. However, if stains are becoming excessive and are no longer able to be removed, it’s likely time to invest in new carpeting.
- Wear and Tear: Tears, rips and snags are likely to occur in carpet over time. In many cases, they can be repaired with minimal inconvenience. However, when they become too widespread, it can really impact the look of a room.
- Bad Smell: Does your carpet just plain smell, even after you clean it? It could be that odors have penetrated so deep into the carpet fibers that they’re unable to be removed. It could also be the result of hidden water damage or mold growth in the carpeting. Whatever the case, it likely needs to be replaced.
- Excessive Matting: It’s only natural for your feet to press down on carpet as it is walked on. Over time, the carpet may even appear matted. Regular vacuuming and annual professional deep cleanings can help restore the pile, but after a while too much wear and tear will eventually catch up to the carpet to the point where it always appears matted.
- Bumpy Feel: If your carpet feels bumpy or uneven to walk on, it likely needs to be replaced due to damage to the carpet padding underneath it. The padding helps give carpet a softer feel when walked on and also helps in absorbing spills and moisture.
Is your carpet in need of replacement? For more information on when it’s likely time to replace your carpeting, contact our flooring experts at Floor Coverings International North Chicago today at the number below. We will give you prompt and honest feedback on how to best proceed. We also offer free in-home estimates to residents of the Chicago, Lake View, Ravenswood & Lincoln Square areas.
Photo Credit: Lisa S.